Pages

Tuesday, February 8, 2011

School Dreams

Well, along with my weight loss I have knuckled down and pursuing school again. And I couldn't be more excited. New look, new life! And I didn't even make these my New Year Resolutions!

I have a measly total of three classes under my belt. About 12 credit hours. I got them before I had my son (actually I got them while I was pregnant.) and just never went back for more than one reason. Until now.

I am not going to live my life working at a movie theater and restaurant as a waitress or cook. I have no desire to, they aren't careers, they're jobs. I want a career. I always wanted to be a teacher, and started my classes with that in mind as my goal, but, as much as I loved High School and my teachers, there are people that stand out in my memory more than them. The nurses I had while I was at the hospital in pre-labor and labor. I may not remember their names (who can blame me with all that was going on?) but I remember how amazing they were, how nice, and happy. And how excited they were to help me give birth to my son and meet him too! As some of you may or may not know I am a part of an online community called Baby-Gaga. There are tons of Moms and Moms-to-be on that site, and I get excited for all of those who post threads (forums) about going into labor and giving birth. They are what sparked my connection to the fact that I felt as excited and happy as the nurses I had felt. And I wanted to help the Moms-to-be as much as they helped me.

And that's when it hit me. That is the career I want. That's what I want to be. Someone who, although many won't remember my name, will never be forgotten. Someone that Moms and Dads remember with smiles.

So it's time to buckle down. Becoming an RN (Registered Nurse) is a long and complicated process. I am going to take the route of my local Community College, ACC, here in Austin. The RN course is a two year period, but it will take me longest than that, because I have about a full year, maybe a year and a half of prerequisites to complete first. Unfortunately, two of my three classes are not even useful on the path, but that doesn't mean they didn't help (show me what college is all about).

To get in to the program I have to do a ton of things first.
1. Admission to ACC (DONE)
2.Get immunizations (MMR, Tetanus, Hepatitis B, and Vericella or Chickenpox)--not done
3.COMPLETE ALL PREREQUISITES (there are 5, with me adding a 6th for an extra jump start) with a C or better and a min of 2.7 GPA
4. Complete HESI Administration Assessment (and pass with 75% or better in the three scored areas)
5. Submit the application (and only at very specific times too)

There is no guarantee I'll get in the course right away, they chose off a ranking system, highest score first. So as long as I kick butt with my GPA and test amazing, I'll have a good score. If I am not accepted at the time, I wait until they have their next bracket of application submissions and resubmit. On and on til I'm in.

After I'm in, I will have to take a full schedule (I can't extend the two years to three or four with taking less classes at a time) because all the classes per semester tie into each other (Lecture, Lab, and Clinicals).


That means I am not going to be able to work full time, and when I am at class, Josh will want to work so we'll need a day care or babysitter. And that cost money too. Talk about a pit stop. But I am going to do this!!! I went to ACC and talked to the financial office, and am going to apply for FAFSA and any scholarship I can find I might be able to get. The GRADE TOTAL of everything from start to graduation is about 6700 dollars, and I know that's 'cheap' for an Associates, but not for me! I need all the help I can get. The first 2000 is just for getting all the prerequisites done!

But I know, with a grant or scholarship or two, I can do this and we can still make ends meet. And HOPEFULLY......HOPEFULLY in 3-5 years I will have an Associates of Health in Science-Nursing and become a Registered Nurse (RN)!!!! It seems a long way, but I plan on doing it and going all the way! Starting with the Summer 2011 semester, and that begins May 23rd!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

(c)2009 Leigh's Landing. Based in Wordpress by wpthemesfree Created by Templates for Blogger