Pages

Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Happy Burthday Ah-Murica!

I love love love the Red, White, and Blue! I love cakes! So here is an ALL AMERICAN cake!

First, I made two batches of cake mix, one full, one halved. You can do box, or scratch, what ever you want!

I then colored each batch, one red and one blue! I recommend these food colors, they are stronger so you can use less, but I still used almost ALL of the container, just FYI. Wilton brand, you can get them at Hobby Lobby or Micheal's, even Walmart!



The red batter I mixed in two 9-in cake pans, and the blue in a deep 6-in pan. I also had enough for a tiny one too, I made for my son, buts that's for another post!


Cook until done (about 30 min) and let cool 100%. You will be cutting the cakes into thin layers, and frosting warm layers is a pain in the butt!

Next I cut the blue cake flat, and the red cake into a total of six layers (three for each cake). I have an Ultimate Cake cutter, so I don't have to worry about uneven slices, but you can use a knife if you don't have a cake cutter).

You are going to do the first three red layers as cake, WHITE frosting, cake, frosting, cake, frosting.
With the next three, cut the middle out of the layers (I used the blue cake as my size guide) and layer the rings the same way as the bottom three. They will probably break, but that's OK, you have enough frosting to 'glue' them back together.
After you have all the red layers down, put the blue cake where you cut the hole in the top three layers.
Use the white frosting in a pastry bag to fill the gaps and hole in the cake, anywhere they may be. The cake will probably get crumbs in the frosting, but it's OK, it'll still look good when your done.





I had to cut the blue cake down some to make it fit, all the frosting between layers made it to big. I just eyeballed the sizing for that.

I didn't really do anything fancy on the outside, just some sprinkles and marshmallows, because I wanted to surprise everyone with the inside of my cake! It looks AWESOME and I can't wait to make this again for the family this 4th of July!
Try it, it is actually very easy to make, a little time consuming, I did it in about 3.5 hours from start (baking) to finish (before clean up).
Happy soon to be birthday America!







0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

(c)2009 Leigh's Landing. Based in Wordpress by wpthemesfree Created by Templates for Blogger